Scroll to read more

There are many different types of masonry issues that can arise. From time to time, these issues may need to be addressed by a professional. There are four common types of masonry issues that typically require attention. In this post we are going to discuss those issues and possible solution for them.


Flaking or chipping is the term that describes the deterioration of the exterior of the walls. This is caused by water being trapped between the wall surface and the mortar. It’s very noticeable and can cause a great deal of damage if it occurs in the joints and between the bricks. Masonry flaking occurs due to the change in temperature and moisture content of the brick.  This is the most common problem associated with Masonry. The surface of a masonry wall is typically porous and uneven. When the sun is high in the sky or the weather is hot, moisture evaporates from the surface of the wall. Moisture seeps down to the mortar joints, which eventually results in crumbling and flaking.

There are several ways to repair a flaked masonry wall apply a waterproofing sealant; apply a cement-based stucco material over the area where the problem is visible; use a liquid-based stucco material; or apply a protective coating over the problem area.


Masonry cracks are cracks in the mortar joints in brick walls. These cracks are usually caused by movement of the bricks or by frost heaving, and they can lead to structural problems if left unfixed. Sometimes, these cracks in the mortar joints can be repaired easily. This is done by applying mortar to the crack and filling it in. If the mortar is too thin, the cracks won’t be able to hold. In such a case, you should wait until the mortar becomes thick enough to fix the cracks. If the cracks aren’t too big, you can simply use a putty knife to fill them in. The final step is to give the joint a coat of paint to seal it.

Flat spot

A flat spot is an area on the surface of a brick or stone where the mortar has dried out, shrunk, cracked, or become detached from the surface. These spots may look like they are coming out of the wall, but they usually occur only at the bottom. This is a very common problem for brick masons, because it is hard to see unless the spot is on the outside. They can cause the mortar to peel and fall off the face of the wall, which can cause the brick to crack.

If you have a flat spot in your wall, it can be really difficult to repair. You can’t just pull it up like you would a piece of wallpaper. This is where a masonry expert comes into play. A mason has to use a drywall gun to remove the old material and then put in new drywall material. You may also want to get it repaired by a masonry contractors to ensure a seamless finish.

Bulging brick

Bulging brick is a term used to describe bricks that are cracked or broken. This usually occurs because of moisture in the brick, which can cause the brick to expand and contract. If the bulge is on the surface of the brick, you can use a putty knife to scrape away the mortar and see if there is a crack in the brick. If there is a crack, you can fill it with a mortar mix that will seal it. If there is no crack, then the bulge is likely due to an uneven distribution of pressure from when it was laid.