Our life is a great gift with all its wonders and beauty; yet sometimes it gets in the way – workload, routine, worries, and anxiety take their toll and everything seems to be in grayish colors. When reaching such a desperate state, you need changes. Some people want a new haircut, which is a temporary measure, some may travel, which is also a fulfilling experience, yet every time you will get back to the same place, with the same walls, which will always remind you of your problems. Therefore, one of the best ways to make changes and look at the brighter side of life is to start a home refreshment. It’s not a complete makeover, just some affordable yet efficient measures that will create a new living environment around.
1. Refresh the walls with peel-and-stick wallpapers
The very first thing we can change is the color and pattern of the walls. Some may think that it’s not a smart idea, it’s a tiresome task, which requires lots of effort, time, and money. However, with the right type of wallpaper, you can avoid all the hustle and bustle.
Peel-and-stick or adhesive wallpaper is the smartest solution for our busy time. The variety of patterns and colors is truly impressive and can satisfy every user. They are washable and humidity-resistant because the basis is typically vinyl. Another big plus is flexibility – the peel-and-stick wallpapers are easy to apply and easy to remove. So you can change the mood of the interior every time you want.
2. Create an accent wall
If you have no desire to change everything, just make an accent wall. It is typically the first thing that the eyes land on when entering the room. As a rule, it is situated in front of the entrance, yet it can vary, depending on the planning.
An accent wall can be a fireplace, a piece of wallpaper with a specific picture, or just a monochrome wall with memorable photos or your artwork, stickers, daily pieces of advice, etc. The easiest and quickest variant is a peel-and-stick mural if you want a complete image.
3. Add the light in
Light is essential, it even impacts the positivity or negativity of our thinking. There are three main types of light:
- Ambient lighting – so-called “general” lighting, as it provides light for the whole room. Its main task is to ensure your easy navigation around the room and perform your tasks.
- Task lighting – serves for a better performance of certain tasks. It is directed toward one specific place where you work, read, cook, write something, etc.
- Accent lighting – helps to emphasize some parts of the interior. If you have some pieces of art on the walls or a mural, such lighting will just level up the whole impression
- Decorative lighting – defines the style of the room, and makes a centerpiece of a space. You should carefully consider its type and placement to fit the overall arrangement of furniture, colors, and textures.
4. Window treatment
Windows are the gateway into the world. There are numerous ways of covering them – curtains, shutters, blinds, sheers, shades, etc. Oftentimes, the whole atmosphere of the room can be changed just by choosing a different type of window cover:
- If you stick with the curtains, then just choose a different piece, and change them in turns.
- Drapes are heavy and look more ‘reserved’ than curtains. The blackout type is the best for those who can not sleep at night, as they completely block the light. Besides, they protect perfectly from the draughts or heat which can be leaking through the window.
- A window shade is a piece of material that covers the window and can be pulled up and down with a roller system or a pulley. There are numerous styles, colors, and patterns, that’s why they fit any decorating style.
- Sheers are lightweight curtains, they don’t provide any light block, just a piece of delicate decor, mainly layered over the blinds and shades. It enriches the room with airness and gauziness.
- Blinds are simple yet efficient in terms of privacy and light-blocking. There are various styles and choices of patterns such as back door window blinds. The higher the quality, the more durable they are.
When you change the type of the window cover, the whole room will change its mood as well. You don’t need to break the bank for the new installation, however, the changes will refresh the overall appearance.
5. Add a new rug
How to bring a new life to your room without global changes? Buy a new rug. It can mark the centerpiece of the room and define the communication area. Apart from adding warmth to the room and a decorative touch, it also adds color and texture to the overall vision of the decoration. A new rug can be a real game-changer in the decoration, or just have a supporting role
If there’s nothing to change, just refresh the decorative elements. Some statues, works of art, flowers, photos, etc. Such details will change the ambiance and will show the character of the owner. It’s vital to know the limits, choose a few things, and side with them. You can alter the elements regarding the seasons or special events, helping to bring in new decoration tidbits.
The last but not the least in the room category. Ventilation is the key to a better health condition. Are you aware that constant dizziness, headaches and sleepiness can be caused by the lack of oxygen in the room?. Make sure you install door vents for interior doors, which will regulate the air flow around the house or apartment, making the environment more comfortable.
The first and foremost kitchen function is food preparation, however, it’s also a place for heart-to-heart communication, cozy evenings, and ‘me’ time. With the total makeover, you can change a few things and the perception of the place will change as well.
1. New utensils
Let’s be honest, a lot of us have utensils from different sets, and we don’t really pay attention to it. However, they complement the overall order and cleanliness of the place and set the right tone for the meal.
Adding new appliances can improve your well-being. For example, a dishwasher. It’s a great tool to free your time from the annoying routine, and it’s water-, and thus, money-saving. You will not be burdened by yet another task to do, the plates will look spotless, and you will save money on washing.
Another great solution for a kitchen – water filters. Nowadays almost everyone cares about health, and therefore, about the quality of water. Water delivery works 24/7 delivering bottled water to every household. However, there’s a better solution – a water filter. It will always be in-house, and there will be no need to order the water, besides, it ensures the quality of the filtering system, as you will be the one to choose it.
3. Bring in the color
The old cupboards and cabinets look depressive and create a cave-like feeling. Such gloominess can be easily turned into brightness and positivity with the help of a few paintbrushes, and over the weekend, the look of the kitchen will sound different.
Another way to decorate the boxes, use the peel-and-stick wallpaper with a specific pattern, cut it out, and apply it where you want. Depending on the size of the patterns and cupboards, you can create a thematic selection – nature, world wonders, fragments of cartoons or movies, etc. The style relies totally on your imagination.
4. Floor insulation
Waking up early for work and stepping onto the icy floor in the kitchen will not set the right tone for the day. However, the warmth underneath will make the difference. One of the best variants – the cork cover, as it is stylish, durable, and easy to install. It will give you warmth, when you will be sitting and enjoying winterish morning coffee, and will not let the heat show its power during the scorching summer. Besides, it’s eco-friendly.
Backsplash protects your walls from splashes and splatters, and its classic style is made of tiles. However, it’s too laborious and time-consuming, as apart from buying the tiles, and supplies for it, you need a professional to lay it.
Luckily we have a better, cheaper, and faster solution – guess what? Peel-and-stick wallpaper again – almost jack-of-all-trades. They are perfectly suitable to serve in the kitchen due to their durability, and resistance to the humid environment. Besides, you can change the image any time you want, changing the look of the kitchen.
A balcony can be turned into a heaven-like relaxation zone. There are a few steps to do it:
- Insulation – in case of cold winters, it is a ‘must’ option, otherwise, it will feel like an ice period cave.
- Flora – bring in a few flower pots, but not too many, they will add a touch of coziness and nature.
- Table with chairs – quiet early hours, with a cup of coffee and almond cookie, while watching out into the silent morning darkness – isn’t it the best way to organize your thoughts for the working day ahead, or just make plans for a day?
- 1. Egg hanging chair – a great way to get distracted from the outer world, as you just settle in for some time, observing the world and enjoying your moment of peace.
You aren’t supposed to perform all the above-mentioned changes. Just one at a time, when you feel an urge for something different. All the methods go easy on your wallet and are time-saving, yet they really make a difference to the indoor climate, and thus, influence your spiritual and physical well-being. Don’t be afraid to be flexible when changing your interior, try new colors, shades, and textures, and bring in more life and freshness. Such an attitude will contribute to your creativity at work as well.