Whipped cream chargers are a versatile kitchen tool that can be used to enhance a variety of dishes, desserts, and even drinks. They come in various sizes, from little 8oz canisters for individuals to larger, industrial-sized chargers for small businesses, cafes, bars, and restaurants. Whether you are looking to add that special touch for intimate gatherings with friends or need consistent, picture-perfect desserts for your business’s Instagram, let’s take a closer look at whipped cream chargers!
A whipped cream charger is a metal cartridge containing nitrous oxide gas or N2O. These cartridges are used to pressurize a whipped cream dispenser, which then allows you to create whipped cream quickly and easily. Whipped cream chargers are a convenient and cost-effective way to make whipped cream.
Table of Contents
Accessories for Whipped Cream Chargers
Chargers don’t work alone. Most importantly, you need a whipped cream dispenser. These come in an assortment of sizes and styles, ranging from small handheld models to larger electric models. You will also need a nitrous pressure regulator; some dispensers come with them, or you can pick up a universal regulator. Regulators allow you to control the amount of gas that is released into the dispenser. This can be useful if you are using dairy substitutes or making whipped cream with different fat contents, as they’ll need different pressures than standard heavy-cream-based whipping cream.
Some manufacturers also offer flavor infusion blends in case you don’t want to create your own while you get used to the charger.
How Whipped Cream Chargers Work
Whipped cream chargers work by releasing nitrous oxide gas into a whipped cream dispenser. The gas dissolves into the cream, creating tiny bubbles and whipping the cream into a light and fluffy consistency. The pressure created by the gas also helps to stabilize the whipped cream, allowing it to hold its shape for longer.
10 Ways to Use Whipped Cream Chargers in Your Kitchen
Whipped cream chargers primarily make whipped cream. Simply put heavy cream in the dispenser, add the charger, and dispense as needed. But that’s not all they do! Let’s explore additional ways to use whipped cream chargers in your kitchen, cafe, or bar:
- Infused Whipped Cream: Add a unique flavor to your whipped cream by infusing it with herbs, spices, tea, or other flavorings. Baking and restaurant stores offer flavor extracts, or you can toss in cocoa powder. You can buy flavors from some cream charger producers, as well.
- Mousse: Use a whipped cream charger to create a light and airy mousse. Mix your ingredients together and then put them in the dispenser in place of heavy cream.
- Carbonated Fruit: This unique and refreshing snack can be used as a garnish or a stand-alone treat. Cut the fruit up into small pieces and place them in the dispenser to add the gas. Leave it sealed for a few minutes, preferably refrigerated, and then open the dispenser and scoop out the fruit.
- Foamed Cocktails: Add a frothy and luxurious texture to your cocktails by using a whipped cream charger. You can also use it to create toppings for your cocktails.
- Infused Oils: Whip up a batch of infused oil by adding your favorite herbs or spices to the oil and using the charger to combine them. Infused oils are great for cooking in or topping off your dishes.
- Flavored butter: Create a unique and flavorful butter by adding herbs, spices, or even fruit to the softened butter in the dispenser and using the charger to mix them.
- Whipped Cream Frosting: Use a whipped cream charger to create a light and fluffy frosting for cakes and cupcakes. The charger can help you obtain a consistent, perfect look if you need to make a good impression.
- Nitro Coffee: Use a whipped cream charger to carbonate your cold brew coffee, creating a unique and refreshing drink. Or streamline the process for your baristas, letting them serve your customers more efficiently.
- Infused Syrupts: Create your own infused syrups by adding herbs, spices, or fruit to the sugar syrup and using a whipped cream charger to infuse the flavors.
- Espumas: This Spanish term translates to foam or froth; in cooking, an Espuma is an edible foam that is warm. Espumas are made by using vegetable puree, broth, or stock in the dispenser alongside a thickening agent and adding the charger.
Transform Your Creations with Whipped Cream Chargers
As you can see, whipped cream chargers are versatile and useful kitchen tools that can be used to enhance a variety of dishes, drinks, and desserts. With the above ten ideas and a myriad of recipes available online, you can get creative and explore all the possibilities whipped cream chargers offer.