Scores of people across the globe look for innovative ways to lose weight. You may have dabbled with fad diets and the latest workout trends to shed some pounds. But, at some point, you have to ask yourself, is it truly working? If you’ve been through the motions and aren’t seeing results, it may be time to try something new.
Non-invasive red light body contouring devices could be the solution you want. After all, this is a safe, tried-and-tested method to help burn excess fat under your skin. Contour light therapy is safe and effective so its popularity comes as no surprise.
You can use this treatment alongside your diet and exercise routine to get into the shape you want. But, if you have reservations about contour red light therapy, we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll talk about how this treatment works, its various benefits, and how you can use it.
Table of Contents
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy is a low-level light treatment that offers fat-burning benefits. You may have heard of several names for red light therapy, like low-level laser light therapy. Rest assured that these are nothing but the same contour red light therapy we’ll be talking about here.
You can receive red light therapy using at-home devices or at a clinic offering such services. Since the treatment is non-invasive, it’s perfectly safe to use it at home. You’ll find several at-home red light therapy devices online, but more on that later.
First, you should know that red light therapy includes red and near-infrared wavelengths. Studies have shown us that the most effective red light wavelengths fall between 650 and 850 nm. So, it’s hardly surprising that this range is known as the ‘therapeutic window’.
What is Contour Red Light Therapy?
Contour red light therapy is an innovative development in non-invasive weight loss treatments. This therapy has other benefits, like skin rejuvenation. It can help you slim down and tone various areas of your body. So, you can shed excess fat exactly where you want to. In this way, red light therapy allows you to sculpt and contour your body in line with your expectations.
Contour red light therapy uses LED bulbs to cover your body in light waves in the therapeutic window. In this way, it allows light to reach your fat cells and burn away your cellulite. The mitochondria in your cells soak up the red light and generate more energy. This process also allows your cells to repair themselves, thus making you healthier.
Unlike the light used in tanning booths, red light therapy uses very low levels of heat, so it doesn’t burn your skin. This makes it one of the safest body contouring treatments available today. Also, red light body contouring therapy doesn’t expose your skin to UV rays. So, it doesn’t cause any damage to your skin while it burns away excess fat on your body.
Does Contour Red Light Therapy Really Work?
Now, you may be wondering if contour red light therapy is truly effective at burning fat. The way red light therapy works to burn fat is pretty simple. When the light penetrates your skin, it creates pores in your fat cells. In doing so, it liquefies the fatty acids present in your cells.
This causes the fatty acids to leak and your cells to shrink. So, you can use contour red light therapy on parts of your body that contain stubborn fat you’d like to burn away. As for the fat that leaked through your cells, your body metabolizes it. The fat then exits your body naturally, as if it were waste.
Some research suggests red light therapy can lead to fat burning. The research focuses on how contour red light therapy can help you burn more calories. It also focuses on how red light therapy can give your blood flow a boost.
Also, red light stimulates a copper enzyme in our cells. This leads to our cells producing more energy and increasing our metabolic rate. Since our metabolic rate reduces with age and stress, it makes sense to give contour light therapy a shot.
Studies suggest that red light therapy can speed up weight loss in those who use it often. You must use it for two weeks or more to achieve noticeable results. The results you achieve also depend on your weight-loss efforts.
Let’s discuss some of the benefits of contour red light therapy so you can decide if it’s the right solution for you.
Contributes to Weight Loss
The number one benefit of contour light therapy is that it helps you lose unwanted weight. If you’ve been trying to lose weight, you’d know that some areas of your body are simply resistant to diet and exercise. This is where red light therapy can prove useful for you.
Since it can target specific areas in your body, it’s ideal for people who have localized fat deposits. For instance, if you have love handles, contour red light therapy is the right solution for you. You can use an at-home device to direct light to these areas and burn fat.
Clinical studies have shown that light therapy can stimulate your subcutaneous fat cells. This can lead to the release of glycerides into your body. This, in turn, can result in the burning of excess fat in your body.
Improves Skin and Hair Appearance
Contour red light therapy can also have a positive effect on the appearance of your skin and hair. Dermatologists have used red light therapy to treat various skin conditions for decades. Red light therapy is often used to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Research shows that exposure to red light can stimulate collagen in your skin. This, in turn, can allow your skin to appear tighter and smoother. This is one of the key messages we get from some red light therapy cellulite guides.
Also, red light therapy penetrates your mitochondria to stimulate hair cell repair. This allows your hair to grow stronger and thicker than before you used therapy.
Another advantage of using red light therapy is that it can help decrease chronic pain in users. If you use the right amount of therapy, you can reduce pain and inflammation in your body. Even athletes use red light therapy to recover quicker from inflammation.
The surface of our neurons contains a certain protein that allows us to perceive pain. Exposure to red light can reduce the ability of these cells to conduct and perceive pain. So, using contour red light therapy often enough can reduce your ability to feel chronic pain.
Best At-Home Red Light Therapy Devices for Body Contouring
You don’t need to visit a dermatologist to reap the benefits of contour light therapy. You can use at-home devices that are safe, effective, and give you great results. But, if you don’t know which device to use, we’re here to help. Let’s look at three red light therapy devices that are effective and easy to use.
Scienlodic Red Light Therapy Belt
This red light therapy device is one of the most popular on the market today and for good reason. It has various light wavelengths to help you achieve body contouring results. You can use it on your stomach, thighs, or even lower back to get rid of fat for good.
- Use of 660 and 850 nm, dual wavelengths that have been well established in clinical trials
- Provides multiple light intensity & pulse modes
- You can use it while you exercise. Designed to double your workout results with a timer, smart temperature control system, and a water and oil-resistant layer.
Price: T210 – $199.99; T105 – $99.99
- It’s more durable than most other red light therapy belts with its waterproof and anti-sweat design
- Different settings are sufficient to cover from superficial subcutaneous fat to deep visceral fat.
- Made of comfortable and breathable material, you can use it while exercising to accelerate fat burning.
- It’s reasonably priced
- It offers superior penetration and enhances blood circulation. Provides nutrients for collagen regeneration, making your skin look more refined.
- It’s easy to use and targets the areas you’d like to reshape
- It has to be used for the specified time to display results
Nushape Lipo Wrap
Nushape is a brand that’s been around for a while and has made its mark in the weight loss arena. Its Lipo Wrap uses 635nm-wave red light therapy technology to drain the toxins from fat cells. This device also works to reduce the appearance of cellulite in your body.
- One-size-fits-all wrap with 635nm wave light technology
- Contains 600 clinical strength LED diodes
- It’s EMF-free and FDA-approved for inch loss
- Made with soft neoprene for use anywhere
- Comes with removable LED lights for easier washing
- A more stylish look with a full range of features.
- Removable and washable, encouraging you to pair them with your workout.
- It’s expensive compared to similar red light therapy devices
Mito Red Light Advanced Therapy Belt
This belt is smaller than most red light therapy devices, so it’s easier to carry around. Like all red light belts, this one is ideal for helping you burn fat in certain areas of your body.
- Contains 405 LED diodes with 3 chips each
- Has 5 power levels to choose from, so you can adjust intensity
- Weighs 1.5 pounds
- Can run for up to 6 hours on a single charge
- Works between 660 nm and 850 nm wavelengths
- It’s lightweight and easy to use
- The compact design allows for freedom of movement
- Similarly, effective in functional design and LED integration
- It can get a little too warm if used for prolonged periods
How Long to See the Results of Contour Red Light Therapy?
If you want visible results, it could take 2-3 weeks of contour red light therapy to help you get there. It may even take longer, depending on how often you use it and how much fat you wish to burn. Remember that there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to how long body contouring takes.
Like all treatments, red light therapy shows different results for different people. So, while it may take some people three sessions to see results, others can take months. If you use contour red light therapy with a diet and exercise routine, you may see quicker results.
So, you shouldn’t depend on your red light therapy device alone to deliver the results you’re after. Instead, you could use it after your workout sessions to speed up your fat burning results.
Contour red light therapy devices are effective when used alongside healthy lifestyle choices. There’s enough research to suggest red light therapy is effective at burning body fat. Not only that, but it also offers you extra benefits like improved skin and quick muscle recovery.
But, you need to find the right device to use if you plan on using red light therapy at home. Make sure to choose a device that’s easy to use and delivers effective results. After all, body contouring isn’t easy to achieve if you don’t have the right tools at hand. Kickstart your weight loss journey the right way with contour light therapy devices.
- Tahreem A, Rakha A, Rabail R, Nazir A, Socol CT, Maerescu CM, Aadil RM. Fad Diets: Facts and Fiction. Front Nutr. 2022 Jul 5;9:960922. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2022.960922. PMID: 35866077; PMCID: PMC9294402.
- Tsai SR, Hamblin MR. Biological effects and medical applications of infrared radiation. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017 May;170:197-207. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2017.04.014. Epub 2017 Apr 13. PMID: 28441605; PMCID: PMC5505738.
- Avci P, Nyame TT, Gupta GK, Sadasivam M, Hamblin MR. Low-level laser therapy for fat layer reduction: a comprehensive review. Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Aug;45(6):349-57. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22153. Epub 2013 Jun 7. PMID: 23749426; PMCID: PMC3769994.
- Wunsch A, Matuschka K. A controlled trial to determine the efficacy of red and near-infrared light treatment in patient satisfaction, reduction of fine lines, wrinkles, skin roughness, and intradermal collagen density increase. Photomed Laser Surg. 2014 Feb;32(2):93-100. doi: 10.1089/pho.2013.3616. Epub 2013 Nov 28. PMID: 24286286; PMCID: PMC3926176.
- Croghan IT, Hurt RT, Schroeder DR, Fokken SC, Jensen MD, Clark MM, Ebbert JO. Low-level laser therapy for weight reduction: a randomized pilot study. Lasers Med Sci. 2020 Apr;35(3):663-675. doi: 10.1007/s10103-019-02867-5. Epub 2019 Aug 31. PMID: 31473867.
- Ahmed, Ambereen. “Safety and efficacy of photobiomodulation therapy for weight loss: a review.” Mechanisms of Photobiomodulation Therapy XIII 10477 (2018): 102-111.