Slow cooker meatloaf
Using a slow cooker meatloaf recipe is perfect if you want a moist meatloaf with very little prep time. You can also cook meatloaf in a crockpot instead of a loaf pan just by shaping the ground beef mixture and placing it into a crock pot with aluminum foil. Whether you call it slow cooker meatloaf or crockpot meatloaf, this recipe will be a big hit.
Take all the ingredients, toss them in one bowl, mix with your hands, and shape it. Then, place it on aluminum foil in your crockpot. Always add salt and pepper no matter what other ingredients you are using. Whether you want your meatloaf with a spicy flavor, cheesy filling, or combined with all sorts of veggies, salt and pepper are still important.
Other ground meat?
Nobody says your crockpot meatloaf recipe has to be made from ground beef. Using ground turkey is popular now because it has less fat and fewer calories. This is a great way to cook turkey. Ground chicken will also make a yummy meatloaf mixture. Ground pork or Italian sausage may be higher in saturated fat, but it is also high in deliciousness.
Leftover slow cooker meatloaf
Any crock pot meatloaf recipe is perfect for a busy night because all you have to do is shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place it in the pot. Then, cover and set the cooking time for three hours on high or six hours on low. This comfort food turns out super moist and tasty because it is cooked low and slow with all the moisture trapped in the pot. Whether you serve it on a fancy serving platter or a baking sheet, it will be delicious.
Secret meatloaf ingredients
Many people have their own special secret ingredients when cooking meatloaf. Some use almond flour instead of bread crumbs and others insist that Italian seasoning is the most important ingredient. Some recipes call for the same ingredients as you would use to make meatballs. I say, just toss whatever you like in a large mixing bowl and it will be the perfect one-pot meal. But I always use diced onion and minced garlic.
What to serve with slow cooker meatloaf
- Serve meatloaf with an easy dipping sauce made from brown sugar and ketchup. Just mix one cup of ketchup with 1/4 cup of brown sugar and set out a small bowl full for your guests to enjoy as much as they like.
- Leftovers can easily be turned into a delicious meatloaf sandwich for lunch tomorrow. In fact, meatloaf sandwiches are the perfect snack food too.
- Instead of Worcestershire sauce, you can use a mixture of 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce, one tablespoon of white wine vinegar, and one tablespoon of ketchup.
- We all know mashed potatoes are a great idea for a side dish. But you could also use sweet potatoes for a different taste. A large bowl of any kind of potatoes will serve the whole family.
- For even more garlic and onion flavor, cut garlic and onions into small pieces and push it down into the meatloaf before cooking.
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between a slow cooker and a crockpot?
Although it varies depending on the brand, a slow cooker usually has a glass lid and a heating element at the bottom. Crockpots have heating elements all around the pot so it cooks more evenly. A basic crockpot has just high and low settings while some slow cookers can saute, sear, and steam as well. Also, Crock-Pot was the brand name of the first crockpot on the market.
Is it better to cook on low or high?
Whether you use the low or high setting depends on how long you want to wait before serving. The cook time depends on the cooking process. If you want your meatloaf for dinner tonight and it is already after noon, you need to use the high setting. But if you want it to cook all day, the low setting will work perfectly.
Can I make potatoes in the same crock pot?
Yes, you can add potatoes and other veggies like carrots to your crock pot meatloaf recipe. However, in order to cook them without soaking up all the fat from your meat, place them on the outside of the aluminum foil. Just add some water or chicken broth to help them cook. If you want the potatoes to cook in the juices, that is fine too. Just put them inside the foil or cook the meatloaf directly in the pot.
Tips and Tricks
- Line your crock pot with aluminum foil leaving the sides hanging out so you can remove meatloaf easier. Spray it with nonstick baking spray or olive oil before using.
- To drain the grease, simply pick up the meatloaf with the aluminum foil and carefully tilt it so the grease flows out.
- Although the recipe says to cook on high for three hours or for six hours on low, it is best to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. The right temperature is 160 degrees F.
- Be sure to let your meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing so the juices are all absorbed back into the meat.
- To get a crispy brown topping, broil it in your oven for a few minutes after it is done cooking.
- For a low-carb meatloaf recipe your entire family will love, use almond flour instead of bread crumbs, almond milk instead of regular, and sugar-free barbecue sauce instead of ketchup.